We take our social responsibility very seriously and have a few main pillars to what we stand for.
1. The environment, we have always led the way on the green policies of the hotel and will continue to do so, our membership of schemes like the Green Hospitality programme are testament to that (include green hospitality info).
As part of our Environmental focus, the reduction of single use plastics and reduction in our carbon footprint in the hotel are key objectives of ours, we don’t think we can solve this all at once, but step by step we make improvements, often at a cost to the hotel, a challenge for operations, but this is something we are willing to do. Single use plastic are a major pollutant of our oceans and rivers, and not only that, our reliance on them is putting the environment in jeopardy in so many ways. As a large business in the area, we have the opportunity to lead the way and set an example for others to follow.
Here are just 20 activites, big and small, from an extensive of what we have been up to.
- Removal of milk portions in rooms
- Removal of plastic straws in bars
- Replacement of single use toiletries to large refillable units
- Removal of plastic laundry bags in rooms
- Switch to slippers without plastic packaging
- Organising an annual beach clean up
- Supporting other local business in switch to plastic free
- Discounts on hot drinks for using reusable cups
- Take away meal containers switched to compostable
- Reusable cups, bottle and straws for sale in pantry
- Paper less HR processes
- Large reduction in accounts dept paper systems
- Switch to compostable coffee pods in rooms
- Removal of plastic water bottles in room to glass, and then to refill stations.
- Switch to Sustainable Bio LPG as our kitchen gas
- Commitment to 100% renewal electricity
- No dig, low carbon release farming method
- Extensive native tree planting armada farm
- Electric car charge points
- Local supplier replacing internationally shipped produce at every opportunity.
2. The wellbeing of young people in the county, Elevate-
The Elevate Foundation is a dedicated philanthropic fund, founded by our owner John Burke, with the help of many of the Armada team, and has the aspiration of playing a small part in the wellness of young people by funding the very best mental health and well-being professionals in their field to connect with young people in Co. Clare, through schools and youth organisations. Elevate fully funds mindfulness programmes, resilience workshops, powerful inspiration talks, emotional well-being workshops, youth community events, youth counselling, the annual YouthFest well-being events, and other great initiatives as they arise. For more info www.
3. The wellbeing of the people at work here, we are well aware of the importance of supporting all our teams mental health, and while we know the hotel industry is a challenging environment to work in with peaks and troughs of business, along with irregular hours, we know that we can work together to ensure we still make it a great place to work. We have an active wellness programme that encourages, funds, and organises active pursuits such as soccer, white collar boxing, running, surfing, we often reward people along the way for participation, we encourage positive down time during breaks, support various other activities including knitting club, we support stop smoking, healthy eating, free counselling, work life balance, good rostering, positive communication, and have strong positions on areas such as bullying and harassment in the work place. We reward length of service. Our wellbing programme is dynamic to the needs of the team, we communicate on a closed Facebook group and on regular ezines, plus wellness AGM’s amongst other ways.
4. Community support, we have and always will support community through support for - sports, schools, the arts, and in many other ways, we are active in organising events such as white Collar boxing, beach clean ups, concerts, wellbeing evenings, and more. The hotel has and always will be a focal point of the community, we won’t forget where we have come from, so to speak.